Paleo Chili Mix!!
I was at Fresh Market today shopping for today’s meals, and I stumbled across a jar of Two Step Chili Mix by Cookwell & Company. To me, chili doesn’t have to take hours slaving and waiting to eat. In fact, my chili can take 20 minutes…but if you want even faster, and probably tastier chili, you got to try the Two Step Chili jar. It was fabulous. It was also paleo, because it did not contain any gluten or flour of any kind, just a bunch of veggies stewed together long enough with the chili spices. Even says, “Gluten-Free” on the jar.
Ok, today was weird…I decided to tough out the 12 hours at my husband’s place while he was working in the ER all day…therefore, trying to find random things to do. If you know me, you know that vegging out for extended periods of time is not my kind of thing. I feel like a 5 year old who’s told to take a nap in the middle of the day, when I just don’t need one.
I did do 1 round of 2 exercises from BodyRock – definitely not enough, because I didn’t do 3 rounds…I made excuses because I didn’t have all of the weights, and space…etc…EXCUSES EXCUSES EXCUSES….blah.
HiitCore – Kill Me Now Abs
HiitBody – Fat Suck Off
I’ve already cleaned his house. It’s a tiny 1-bedroom apartment with carpet. So, as always, he loves it when I come over, because I usually clean his apartment and do his laundry. (Seriously!?) I clean his apartment not because I’m trying to be nice, but because I can’t stand clothes and books all over the couch, dishes in the sink, and dog hair on the carpet.
Condiments, Sodas, and Milk in fridge. My husband doesn’t buy groceries. He hates the grocery store, but I, on the other hand, sifts through every isle as though I’m searching for gold. Therefore, there is nothing to eat at his house. As always, a freezer packed full of frozen boxed stuff. Well, this just means I need to go grocery shopping for him!
I picked up a carton of eggs, a carton of almond milk (lol), some chicken breast, a pound of ground sirloin, an onion, a tomato, a container of mushrooms, some fruit, a bag of Chia Chips (super yum! try it!), some bananas, and a couple of oranges.
My breakfast, which turned out to be brunch at 11:30am.
I made my traditional spinach omelet (I gave him some veggies to take to his apartment and cook his own meals, but did it only once..boo) with some onion and mushrooms. I plated the dish, took it out on the balcony and ate it with a glass of almond milk. How relaxing! It was a beautiful day with birds chirping in the woods, and the sun was peering through the trees and hitting me on the face. Very nice little time.
For lent, I was supposed to give up 15 minutes of my day, and be inactive, and let my thoughts run free. So this porch time was that time.
The husband called and said, “Hey can you bring us food for lunch?” Of course! I suggested Sergeant Pepperoni pizza, because I heard it was the best pizza in town. At least the dough was good. But he and another resident working with him only had Chicken strips as the option for lunch so I thought I’d bring them in something a bit more filling. So I got them the largest size pizza they had, and filled it with veggies and chicken. So no processed pork. I tried to make it as healthy with the toppings as possible.
Onto more random things to do, here’s my list:
- Took my car to the full-service car cleaning place, they did a great job cleaning all of the dog hair and paw prints, etc.
- Walked the dog
- Left my phone at home, and took the dog to the park by the river….I let her loose and of course she finds a puddle of water and jumps in it. Then she rolls in it to cool off. Ahh…..can’t get mad at her. She’s being a dog. But of course she has to go back home in my freshly clean car…yea…this sucks. But she had a great time, and that’s all that mattered.
- Took my dog home and had to give her a bath. So the clean house is dirty again. Yay…
- It’s 4:30, and I have roughly 4 more hours before my husband gets home…so I try my best to kill some time catching up on blogs and watched hours of HGTV.
- Then by 7:30 I decided to start the chili…by the way, like I said earlier…this is 20 minute chili we’re talking about. For some odd reason I thought it was gonna take 2 hours…
Oh the Two Step Paleo Chili….
Super easy…and super delicious. Here’s the directions in order of how I made it:
- Heat up the pot, and put a tablespoon of oil in it.
- Add minced garlic and chunky diced onions, saute until onions begin to sweat.
- Add the pound of beef, and cook that almost until completely browned.
- Add 2 table spoons of brown sugar.
- Add sliced mushrooms.
- Saute until mushrooms are looking not raw any more, like a little cooked.
- Add stewed tomatoes.
- Add a little salt and pepper.
- Taste the meat mix and make sure it tastes good to you. Don’t over do the salt, and sugar and pepper. The sauce will do the rest of the work.
- Now you are 10 minutes into making chili.
- Add the Two Step Chili jar, and mix well, then turn down the heat, and let simmer. Once it simmers, it’s ready.
- You might need to keep stirring to keep the beef from sticking to the bottom. But once the heat gets down enough it won’t do that any more.
That’s it folks! Two Step Chili that I stretched out to 12 steps..but still only takes a few minutes longer! I like fancy chili…but sometimes good ole fashion ones will get the job done too. Notice, there are no beans in this chili…aka legumes my friend are a no-no.